Everyone has an immune system. Varying factors, however, can effect how effective it is at fighting off sickness. If you want to boost your immune system, read on for some helpful, quick and effective methods.
Your Immune System is a Bad-A**
Your immune system is extremely complex and multifaceted. It’s not as if it’s just one organ that has just one function. It’s an entire system designed to prevent invasion of germs and then fight them if they get in.
In order for it to function well, your immune system needs to be strong and balanced. Think of it like the superhero of your body. It can protect and destroy enemies when it’s boosted. But, like Kryptonite is to Superman, so are germs and diseases to a body with a weak immune system.
Quick and Effective Methods to the Rescue!
Because your immune system is an intricate function, it makes sense that achieving balance and harmony within the body are important. If you are stressed out, smoking cigarettes, eating junk, and never exercise, chances are your health is imbalanced; thus, your immune system is probably weakened.
Here are some methods to boost your immune system:
- Quit smoking
- Reduce alcohol intake to one drink per day or less
- Reduce sugar intake
- Increase amount of sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Eat nutritiously
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Minimize stress
- Wash your hands with soap often
Basically, leading a healthy lifestyle will be your most effective route to a well-functioning immune system. It sounds pretty simple. Achieving it might seem too difficult—but it doesn’t have to be. One small change at a time, and in no time, you’ll be feeling better and healthier than ever.
How to Put Your Methods into Effect
- Quit smoking. Addiction to nicotine is a real thing. Also, along with smoking comes associated behaviors. The only way to quit is to make the decision and commit to it. You can taper off, go cold turkey, join a support group, use replacement therapy, or other workable approaches. Once you stop, your body will thank you and your immune system will be able to fight harder for your health.
- Reduce sugar intake. Too much sugar and the body cannot process it properly. It can spill in to the bloodstream creating all kinds of problems with insulin and cholesterol levels, imbalance in the gut microbiome, and general inflammation. Your immune system thrives on balance, so reducing sugar can help. This is a quick fix.
- Sleep enough. Today’s hectic lifestyles don’t often allow for the rest we truly need. The National Institutes of Health recommends 7 or more hours of sleep per night for adults 18 and over. It’s precisely when we’re not getting enough rest that our immune system lowers its guard and we wind up getting sick. Schedule your sleep the way you would any other essential activity.
- Eat well. Eating well means appropriate portions and ingesting fresh, unprocessed, healthy foods. Specific vitamins known to boost the immune system are zinc, iron, folic acid, A, B6, and C, amongst others. Specific foods mentioned in health circles are bone broth, Japanese mushrooms, avocados, and most all fruits and vegetables. Feed yourself well and your immune system will repay you with wellness.
- Exercise daily. There have been studies where athletes have taxed their immune systems from overexertion. This is generally not a worry for most of us. Nonetheless, it’s important that we move our bodies daily. Try and use every opportunity in the day to be active somehow. This could include taking the stairs, parking farther from the building, going for a walk at lunch, or indulging in more romance. Getting exercise will also reduce stress; both will help boost your immune system.
Staying healthy is more important than ever. Be mindful of how you go through your day. Within no time you’ll be able to incorporate some of these quick and effective methods and get your immune system boosted and ready to take the bad guys down. Check out other health tips for you and your family on GetThrive!