A yeast infection, also known as candidal vulvovaginitis, is a rapid growth of fungus. Belonging to a group of yeasts called Candida, it can cause irritation and be uncomfortable to the sufferer. Fungi love to grow in warm moist places like the vagina, penis, armpits, and between the fingers, so anyone can be at risk of having it. Many people will rush off to the grocery or drug store for an anti fungal cream or pessary, but yeast infections have a tendency to reappear. Don’t panic, there are a number of home remedies that will provide some relief, as well as try to restore balance in the body.
Cause Of Yeast Infection
Changes within the body could trigger an imbalance of yeast, which may lead to a yeast infection. This may happen if someone has:
- recently taken antibiotics
- A weakened immune system
- Skin is damaged
- Diabetes has not been monitored properly
- Recently been through the menopause
Yeast Infection Symptoms In Women
There are sometimes no symptoms, unless the fungus multiplies and the sufferer may notice some of the following:
- Itching and soreness around the vagina
- White discharge (sometimes thick)
- Sore and uncomfortable during sexual intercourse
- Possible pain when peeing
Yeast Infection Symptoms In Men
- Burning/soreness around the head of the penis, usually under the foreskin
- Thick white discharge
- A foul smell
- Pain when pulling back the foreskin
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse
Natural yogurt containing probiotics and without sweeteners or colors, is believed to benefit those with a yeast infection (The yogurt must contain lactobacillus acidophilus to be effective). Digesting the yogurt is thought to control the yeast growth and restore balance. Spreading the yogurt on the infected area offers a soothing relief.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the “it food”, of the 2000’s. Its anti-fungal and antibacterial properties have fans drinking this stuff straight up, or adding it to healthy food like salad. If the goal is to flush out the toxins and bad bacteria, while preventing an overgrowth of bacteria, ingest the following:
- Dilute a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in warm water, once in the morning before food, at lunch time, and again in the evening. If the taste is a little harsh, pour the apple cider vinegar into a ginger based herbal tea. Ginger also has bacterial fighting properties, and this will aid the effects of the vinegar.
Coconut oil helps kill the candida bacteria and cure a yeast infection, but how is this possible? Caprylic acid is present in the coconut oil, and it breaks down the outer layer of the yeast, stopping its growth. Today coconut oil may be used as a sugar substitute in diets. Yeast loves sugar, so if the it is replaced with a natural substitute, it dies. Coconut Oil also contains lauric acid, which helps strengthen the immune system, potentially preventing a yeast infection in the first place.
Take the coconut oil orally by:
- Adding a tablespoon to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Adding to natural yogurt and avocado dip
- Mixing with a natural fruit smoothie
For itching relief:
- Soak a cotton ball with coconut oil and wipe the infected area two/three times a day
The active ingredient in this oil is carvacrol. This is beneficial for its microbial properties, which help combat infection. The medical world is using carvacrol in research against diseases, such as cancer and inflammation. Research suggests it can also combat bacterial and fungal yeast infections.
- Take 2-4 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water everyday
- Mix 3 drop of oregano oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil, soak a cotton ball and dab gently on infected areas.
Taking cranberry pills on a regular basis helps lower the level of bad bacteria in the body, therefore helping prevent the occurrence of a yeast infection. Cranberry juice, if it has no added sugar, is also beneficial by detoxing the body.
There are common sense methods to undertake everyday, to help prevent yeast infections. Some of which include:
- Cut down on sugars. Candida and the bad bacteria in the body love to feed on sugar.
- Always wear cotton underwear
- Take showers not baths
- Avoid using harsh soap on genitalia.
(Please note that it is imperative to visit a health care practitioner, if pregnant, or suspect an underlying reason for a reoccurring infection).
For more information on home remedies for yeast infections, please visit